Broil King Keg Forum
October 16, 2018, 04:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk me into the BSK versus the Akorn  (Read 30392 times)
TheBlack77

Birmingham, AL

« on: May 15, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

Hey all, I'm new here but lurked for a little bit and have read as much as I can. So i've been looking at the BSK for awhile now. This one http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3926551. I guess that's the BSK4000 i've seen referenced here. Now that i'm prepared to buy though, a friend told me about the Chargriller Akorn. I currently have a CG barrel style smoker that has been pretty good for a $175 investment, but it's not top notch quality. I want to go with the BSK, but $400 difference is pretty substantial. At this very moment I don't have a functioning grill. The charcoal tray burned out on my barrel so I can only smoke, and I have to put a new regulator on my 15 year old Weber gas. So this will be my first dive into the kamado style cooker, and will be my primary grill/smoker.

Help me justify the extra $$ for the BSK. Other than the tow arm, is this all I will have to spend initially?

Cheers,

Blake

BKK 4000
Chargriller Super Pro
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:55:49 AM »

Have you seen both cookers in person to help decide?

Most of us would be pretty biased here Tongue but it all depends if you are looking at purely cost.

If have seen the Akorn on display at Lowe's bit have never cooked on it.

IMO, the BSK looks/feels better built with heavier metals, including the cast pieces and less plastic parts. I am not sure what.you have to do to remove the ash from the akorn either?

But with either one you can produce from fantastic food! So jump in and get cooking.

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
del

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:52:50 AM »

I saw one at Depot or Lowes. It looked cheap and flimsy. I have had my keg for two months and love it. The keg is rock solid and I always live by the rule you will end up buying cheap twice.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »

I don't think we have anyone with both of them - there are two brothers one has a keg one an acorn. That would be the best comparison

I believe the acorn was the prototype and at one point was built at same factory in China. IMHO the keg is revision 2.

They cook about the same. The keg can go on a hitch. There are more accessories. OMC is very good about support. They pay for this forum.
The keg has a standard size cast iron grill and us compatible with stuff for the BGE

The acorn seems to cook the same so it is a good buy. I might get one for the cabin in Canada

If you have the money and are going to cook a lot - i'd get the keg - I have two.
Still half the price of BGE - if you get on sale.

You can get the acorn if money is an issue. You are still welcome here.

If you really cook a lot you'll want a second. And price fluctuates a lot

What killed the board? Narcissists
Mad Chef

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »

I picked up an Akorn as my second cooker about 3 weeks ago. My main cooker is a BSK 2000 that I have modified to the point that it is a 4000 without the hitch.

The BSK is a far more solid piece of equipment. And the fact that you can buy BGE accessories is really nice. My BSK will be my main cooker for a long time.

Still working with the Akorn. I find it a bit more sensitive to the vents than the BSK, but that may reflect that I am used to my BSK.

Customer service from both companies has been very good.

If price does not matter, buy the BSK. But IMO, the Akorn is the better buy if price matters.  Plus, you can learn on the Akorn and then make an informed decision about whether you want to add a second cooker later.

BTW: if you get the Akorn, call char-grilled and order the smoking stone. It is a good diffuser that char-griller designed for the Akorn.

BSK 2000
Char-Griller Kamado Kooker
Weber Genesis Gold C
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »

I picked up an Akorn as my second cooker about 3 weeks ago. My main cooker is a BSK 2000 that I have modified to the point that it is a 4000 without the hitch.

The BSK is a far more solid piece of equipment. And the fact that you can buy BGE accessories is really nice. My BSK will be my main cooker for a long time.

Still working with the Akorn. I find it a bit more sensitive to the vents than the BSK, but that may reflect that I am used to my BSK.

Customer service from both companies has been very good.

If price does not matter, buy the BSK. But IMO, the Akorn is the better buy if price matters.  Plus, you can learn on the Akorn and then make an informed decision about whether you want to add a second cooker later.

BTW: if you get the Akorn, call char-grilled and order the smoking stone. It is a good diffuser that char-griller designed for the Akorn.

Got a pic of the smoking stone?  or link to web?

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »

Got a pic of the smoking stone?  or link to web?

Looks like the platesetter without legs.

http://www.chargriller.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=119&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

BSK #5315
Mad Chef

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

It is on char griller's website. It is a lot like the platesetter.

The "problem" with the Akorn is that it is an odd size. Over in the Kamado Guru forum, you will find discussions about different diffusers people have tried.  The stone fits right and has a good thermal mass.

BSK 2000
Char-Griller Kamado Kooker
Weber Genesis Gold C
tmcgee

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

I have both as well.  I started with the Acorn and then bought the BSK4000 new off Craigslist.  I would spend the extra money based on quality and longevity of the grill.  The Acorn makes a great second grill but not the primary if you ask me. The metal is more flimsy, the wood handles on the ash pan burnt off of mine and the vents are not as good (I have an original one)...  I do like where they are headed with accessories etc but in the end it is still a cheaper made grill.  Do I regret my purchase?  No.  But that was all I could or wanted to afford at that time.  Would I do it the same again?  Probably not....  By all means though.  If that is what you can/want to afford, the Acorn will treat you well.
waldo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »

If you don't need the light weight of a steel kamado, for even less than a BKK, you can get a ceramic from Costco. It's the Vision Classic ($569). I have been using one for a month, and it's about as good as a Big Green Egg, but at half the price. Everything is included except a diffuser. You get a second level grate and a cover. Vision sells a lava rock diffuser for $49.

Here's one guys review:
http://thecoredump.org/2012/04/enter-the-kamado/

Note that Costco only sells the Classic model. The Pro is available for $699 at Home Depot. There are too many reports of difficult low and slow on the Pro. I don't think they have that fancy damper door perfected.
http://visiongrills.com/

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »

Waldo Thanks for the feedback on the ceramic.
I considered one as my second cooker when kegs or akorn's were impossible to get.

Ended up with a second keg.

Cabelas had one brand they only carried then for a month. Seems like they had problems. Kinda got spooked on ceramic.

I guess Costco will take it back if you have a problem, didn't know that back then. They seemed like a good deal.

What killed the board? Narcissists
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »

Seems like a lot of the cheaper ceramic have issues with cracking.  If I was going to go ceramic I'd stick with BGE or Primo or another established name.

The smoking stone for the chargriller looks like the grilla diffuser.  Seems like a good idea.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
TheBlack77

Birmingham, AL

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback on both Mad Chef and tmcgee. I'm probably going to go with the BSK for the longevity of the product. Already owning a Char griller, I know they make decent stuff for a low price, but I think want a great cooker at a moderate price. I'll let you guys know when I pull the trigger.

BKK 4000
Chargriller Super Pro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: